06 October 2012

My writing process

At best it can be called 'grab the moment'. Some days I have the luxury of a full day all to myself. This can be worse than grabbing snatches of time as it allows me too much time to procrastinate. Other times I'm lucky to get in one hour while the two year old naps. Despite the obstacles this has been a great year. I signed the contract Phoenix Yard Books for my first book, 'The Luchair Stones', Book 1 in The Red Dragon Chronicles. I have discovered that signing the contract is just the beginning. Did you know that it takes up to two years from contract to publication. This involves long periods waiting for my editor to get back to me with her comment as we work through the chapters. Very few writers produce a publishable novel from the polished draft they present to a publisher. The hard work only really starts after the contract is signed. I'm enjoying the whole process. Each and every word has to earn it's place in the book. Sometimes I think it's a bit like being at uni only I'm getting paid for it. In between I work on my adult novel. Every exercise we do in class is written with the idea that it will fit into my book. Feedback from Tracey and the class has been important to me as it helps to keep me on track and motivated. Denise Ogilvie

2 comments:

  1. My Writing Process

    So far, my writing is only coming along very slowly this year. My biggest problem is finding the time to be able to sit down, and just write for hours, instead of having to squeeze in half an hour here and there in order to just be able to write at least a paragraph. My novel is getting there, and I have my goal set for when I would like it to be finished and I will stick to that. Lately, I feeli f I really want to write just one really good paragraph, I have to wait days for the motivation and for the inspiration to come. Becaue whenever I hold the pen and paper in my hands, my mind is blank. Another one of my problems; procrastination. I will pick up a pen and paper, look at it and think about what I should be writing, but then put it down and just keep saying 'I'll come back to this later.
    There is no doubt about it, writing is what I love to do, and I would love to just be able to write all day every day, but finding the time is what stops me from progressing.
    Writing this novel is a very good experience, and I am enjoying each moment of it, the good and bad. I just hope I will have it finished sooner rather than later.
    Carla Maraventano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating post Denise, good luck with the book, I'm sure Maria would be up to reviewing it when it comes out :D

    ReplyDelete